Gibson Brands is seeking an Assistant Controller to own and evolve the company’s accounting function. The Assistant Controller will play a crucial role in the financial management and reporting of the organization. This position will support the Controller, Strategic Finance and Operational Finance in various accounting and reporting functions to ensure accurate financial information, compliance with debt agreements, and effective internal controls. The ideal candidate is a strong leader with extensive experience, who possesses exceptional technical accounting acumen. They will be a hands-on and results-oriented team player who has successfully built and/or transformed teams, processes, and technology tools in a global organization.
- Financial Reporting and Analysis:
- Lead in the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements in compliance with U.S. GAAP.
- Analyze financial data to identify trends, variances, and anomalies, providing insights to Strategic Finance and management for informed decision making.
- Collaborate with other departments to gather financial data for reporting purposes.
- Lead internal efforts to support financial audits.
- Assist with various areas of budget and forecast development.
- General Accounting:
- Oversee and review daily accounting activities, including journal entries, account reconciliations, and accruals.
- Assist in maintaining the integrity of the general ledger, ensuring proper coding of transactions.
- Manage intercompany relationships with Gibson’s international subsidiaries ensuring proper procedures are maintained to reconcile intercompany relationships monthly.
- Provide technical accounting guidance to the regional accounting teams and business leaders for complex topics including purchase accounting/business combinations, stock-based compensation, revenue recognition, etc.
- Stay ahead of future regulatory developments, oversee research of technical accounting issues, and develop policies and procedures for new accounting standards.
- Financial Systems and Tools:
- Lead in the maintenance of key financial systems including Microsoft D36 and OneStream.
- Contribute to the improvement of financial systems and processes to enhance efficiency and accuracy.
- Compliance Reporting:
- Assist in ensuring timely delivery of required reporting to lenders and shareholders.
- Assist in ensuring compliance with various borrowing arrangements.
- Team Leadership and Development:
- Provide guidance and training to accounting staff to ensure consistent and accurate financial processes.
- Foster a collaborative and positive work environment within the accounting team.
Required Skills / Abilities
- Previous experience in role requiring high level of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize and meet deadlines.
Education and Experience
- 10+ years of accounting and accounting management in corporate accounting-type roles within a multinational company multicurrency organization
- Unquestionable ethics that drive leadership and behavior
- Experience implementing and improving internal controls
- Expert knowledge of ERP systems preferably in a manufacturing environment, financial reporting and consolidation systems and expert level Microsoft Excel skills
- Prior experience in a multi-national business working with foreign currencies and all related financial transactions of the business.
- An excellent leader and manager of people with the ability to attract, develop and retain “A” level talent and build a world class team.
- Expert US GAAP knowledge, technical accounting research and analysis skills
- CPA required
- Project management experience a plus
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills across all levels of the organization
At Gibson, we have a collaborative, fun, and casual environment. A highly motivated self-starter will have the room to grow and excel as a member of our Finance and Accounting team which encourages both individual ownership and team-based success. We are passionate and proud of our brands and products which have propelled Gibson’s current growth and allow Gibson to offer very competitive pay and benefits along with a multitude of opportunities to grow personally and professionally.
Potential opportunities to travel to international sales office and manufacturing locations, but not required.